Worshippers Escape Arson Attack on Melbourne Synagogue
Worshippers at the Adass Israel synagogue in Melbourne were forced to flee early Friday morning after the building was set on fire in what Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese condemned as an “act of hate.”
Firefighters responded to the scene in Ripponlea, located in Melbourne’s southeast, shortly after 04:00 local time (17:00 GMT Thursday) to find the synagogue fully engulfed in flames.
Several people inside the synagogue for morning prayers narrowly escaped, with one individual sustaining injuries.
Witnesses reported seeing masked individuals throw firebombs and spread accelerants before setting the building alight. The fire caused extensive damage, and police have confirmed that it was deliberately set. However, the motive behind the attack remains under investigation.
Prime Minister Albanese condemned the attack, stating, “This violence, intimidation, and destruction at a place of worship is an outrage. I have zero tolerance for antisemitism.”
He assured the public that the Australian Federal Police would assist local authorities in their investigation.
Victoria Police have appealed to the public for any information, including CCTV or dashcam footage from the area.
Detective Inspector Chris Murray stated that an arson chemist would assess the site, and additional patrols would be deployed to ensure the safety of the local community.
Eyewitness accounts described the harrowing moments of the attack, adding to the shock and concern within the community.
Synagogue board member Benjamin Klein recounted, “People inside heard banging on the door and window, and some liquids came through which were lit.”
Worshipper Yumi Friedman, who sustained a hand injury while attempting to re-enter the building to fight the fire, described shattered glass and the rapid spread of flames.
Jewish community leaders have linked the incident to a documented rise in antisemitism across Australia.
Daniel Aghion, president of the Executive Council of Australian Jewry, said, “None of the Jewish community is surprised. We’ve known this has been coming.”
Authorities have vowed to bring those responsible for the attack to justice and to ensure the safety of places of worship across the country.
“We’re committed to ensuring the community can worship without fear,” Det Insp Murray said.
You may be interested

Amotekun Saves 28 Ghanaians In Ondo
gisthub - Apr 03, 2025Operatives of the Ondo State Security Network, known as Amotekun Corps, successfully rescued 28 Ghanaians who had been kidnapped and held hostage in…

NCAA Cautions Airlines Against Halfway Deportation Of Nigerian Passengers
gisthub - Apr 03, 2025The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has issued a strong warning to international airlines regarding the growing number of complaints from passengers who…

Death Toll From Myanmar Earthquake Exceeds 3,000 Amid Rescue Difficulties
gisthub - Apr 03, 2025The death toll from Myanmar's 7.7-magnitude earthquake has surpassed 3,000, with hundreds more still missing. The earthquake, one of the strongest in Southeast…
Leave a Comment