TikTok Resumes Operations in the US After Donald Trump’s Intervention
TikTok has resumed its services to its 170 million US users after President-elect Donald Trump announced plans to issue an executive order to delay the enforcement of a national security ban on the app.
The platform had stopped working for American users on Saturday, January 18, when the law banning it took effect. However, Trump, who had previously supported a ban, pledged on Sunday to postpone the law’s implementation, providing more time to work out a deal. Following his statement, TikTok confirmed it was restoring service.
Shortly after Trump’s announcement, TikTok services were restored, and a pop-up message appeared on the app, thanking Trump by name for his decision to delay the ban.
In a statement, the company thanked the incoming president for “providing the necessary clarity and assurance” and said it would work with Trump “on a long-term solution that keeps TikTok in the United States”.
TikTok CEO Shou Chew is anticipated to attend Donald Trump’s inauguration today.
Posting on Truth Social, a social media platform he owns, Trump said on Sunday: “I’m asking companies not to let TikTok stay dark! I will issue an executive order on Monday to extend the period of time before the law’s prohibitions take effect, so that we can make a deal to protect our national security.”
TikTok’s parent company, ByteDance, had previously disregarded a law that mandated the sale of its U.S. operations to prevent a ban. The law was upheld by the Supreme Court on Friday and came into effect on Sunday.
It remains uncertain what legal authority Trump will have to postpone the implementation of a law that’s already in effect. However, it is expected that his administration will refrain from enforcing the ban if he issues an executive order.
You may be interested

Rotary Club of Omole Golden Donates ICT LAB to Ajuwon High School
gisthub - Apr 04, 2025The Rotary Club of Omole Golden has inaugurated a solar-powered Information Communication Technology laboratory for Ajuwon Junior Secondary School, Lagos. The club president,…

Hyenas Nearly Killed Me – Ex-NYSC DG Tsiga Recounts Harrowing Ordeal In Kidnappers’ Den
gisthub - Apr 04, 2025Former Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps, General Maharazu Tsiga, has shared his harrowing experience while in captivity. Tsiga, who was freed…

Olmo And Victor Given Green Light To Finish Season With Barcelona
gisthub - Apr 03, 2025Spain’s sports council announced on Thursday that Dani Olmo and Pau Victor will be allowed to play for Barcelona until the end of…
Most from this category

EPL: Arsenal’s Gabriel’s Season Ended Due To Hamstring Injury
gisthub - Apr 03, 2025
Leave a Comment