0 Shares 20 Views

South African Court Clears Nigerian Televangelist Pastor Timothy Omotoso Of Rape And Human Trafficking Charges

gisthub Apr 02, 2025
0 21

Omotoso and his co-accused, Lusanda Sulani (41) and Zikiswa Sitho (33), who had been on trial for eight years, were found not guilty of all charges against them. The 66-year-old televangelist and his two co-accused faced 32 charges, including racketeering, trafficking in persons, rape, and sexual assault.

Judge Irma Schoeman delivered the judgment on the morning of Wednesday, April 2, 2025, after carefully reviewing the evidence presented by both the State and the defense, as well as testimonies from the complainants. The court ultimately acquitted the trio of all charges.

“I am of the view that although there are aspects of the complainants that are unsatisfactory, I cannot find that their evidence is incredible. However, I cannot find that the evidence of the accused falls to be rejected as false either,” the court remarked.

Schoeman added that the evidence of the defence was not properly tested with proper cross examination by the prosecution.

“This matter falls in the category where in my view the explanations of the accused are improbable, and I do not subjectively believe them. However, due to the uncertainty of the actions of the State and the lack of proper cross examination, I cannot find that the accused’s version are so improbable they cannot reasonably possibly be true,” she said.

“The accused bore no onus to convince the court of their innocence. I am of the view, in light of all the circumstances of the case, that the State has not proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.

“The accused are found not guilty and they are discharged on all the charges,” the judge ruled.

Omotoso, Sulani, and Sitho were seen kneeling on the bench in court, praying in gratitude after their acquittal. A group of supporters, who had gathered in the courtroom, rushed to embrace Omotoso, calling out “Papa” in celebration.

Speaking to journalists shortly after his acquittal, Omotoso expressed relief, thanking God for his exoneration. He acknowledged the long and difficult legal battle and emphasized that his faith had kept him strong throughout the trial. The televangelist’s supporters also celebrated the verdict, showing their joy and backing him throughout the proceedings.

“The only thing I can say, I thank God. I thank God. I give him all praise. I am 67 by next July. I have been in prison for eight years,” he said.

Journalists asked Omotoso if he had any thoughts on suing the State, and he said he needed time to think.

“I think it is better for me to rest first. I have been in prison for eight years, at this age. I think we should give some time for that,” he added.

At the last court appearance, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) stated that the judgment would mark a remarkable milestone in a case that has been plagued by delays for nearly eight years since the trio’s arrest. The long-awaited verdict came after a prolonged legal battle involving serious charges.

It is alleged that Omotoso, referred to as “the man of God,” was the leader of the Jesus Dominion International (JDI) church, and his co-accused, Lusanda Sulani and Zikiswa Sitho, were his assistants. JDI had established major branches in South Africa, Nigeria, and Israel, with its headquarters located in Durban, South Africa.

“The complainants were either congregants, employees or persons selected to take part in the activities of the church when they were recruited under the pretext that they would benefit spiritually or improve the quality of their lives,” said NPA spokesperson Luxolo Tyali.

You may be interested

NCAA Cautions Airlines Against Halfway Deportation Of Nigerian Passengers
Travel
0 shares5 views

NCAA Cautions Airlines Against Halfway Deportation Of Nigerian Passengers

gisthub - Apr 03, 2025

The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has issued a strong warning to international airlines regarding the growing number of complaints from passengers who…

Death Toll From Myanmar Earthquake Exceeds 3,000 Amid Rescue Difficulties
General
0 shares5 views

Death Toll From Myanmar Earthquake Exceeds 3,000 Amid Rescue Difficulties

gisthub - Apr 03, 2025

The death toll from Myanmar's 7.7-magnitude earthquake has surpassed 3,000, with hundreds more still missing. The earthquake, one of the strongest in Southeast…

Notorious Bandit Kingpin Turji Kills 12 Farmers In Sokoto For ‘Fun’ After Hosting Sallah Celebration
Crime
0 shares5 views

Notorious Bandit Kingpin Turji Kills 12 Farmers In Sokoto For ‘Fun’ After Hosting Sallah Celebration

gisthub - Apr 03, 2025

Notorious bandit kingpin Kachalla Bello Turji has reportedly killed 11 farmers in Lugu town, Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State. The attack…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Most from this category