0 Shares 94 Views

Six #ENDSARS Protesters Released After Four Years in Detention

gisthub Aug 23, 2024
0 95

A Lagos State Magistrate’s Court sitting in Ogba has convicted six persons – Daniel Joyinbo, Adigun Sodiq, Kehinde Shola, Salaudeen Kamilu, Sodiq Usseni and Azeez Isiaka who were arrested by the police during the 2020 #EndSARS protest in the state.

 

Magistrate Bola Osunsanmi convicted them after they pleaded guilty to a one-count charge of causing a breach of peace brought against them by the Lagos State Government.

However, the court set them free because they had spent more than the stipulated punishment in custody.

 

The offence of breach of peace carries a punishment of three months imprisonment or a fine of N15,000.

When the case was called on Thursday, August 22, the prosecution team led by the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP,) Dr Babajide Martins, told Magistrate Osunsanmi that they had amended the charge against the convicts; he then urged the court to call on them to take their plea.

 

The charge read, “That you, Daniel Joyinbo Joigbo, Adigun Sodiq, Kehinde Shola, Salaudeen Kamilu, Sodiq Usseni, Azeez Isiaka on the 23rd day of November 2020, about 12:00hrs at Ebutte Metta, Lagos in the Lagos Magisterial district did conduct yourself in a manner likely to cause a breach of peace and thereby committed an offence punishable under section 168(d) of the law of Lagos state of Nigeria 2015.”
After the charge was read to them, the convicts pleaded guilty.

Subsequently, Martins urged the court to sentence them by the law under which they were charged.

 

The defence counsel, Tajudeen Ojeshino, however, pleaded with the court to temper justice with mercy.

 

He said, “My lord, I plead with the court to temper justice with mercy as the convicts are first-time offenders. Some of them are the breadwinners of their families and are still very young. They have already spent four years in prison and have learned their lessons.”

 

The Magistrate then asked the convicts whether they understood the content of the charge and the obligation of the court to impose on them the maximum sentence.

 

They answered in the affirmative.

 

In her judgment, the Magistrate convicted the defendants but released them due to the time they had already spent in prison.

 

However, she warned them never to engage in crime in the future.

Six #ENDSARS Protesters Released After Four Years in Detention

You may be interested

I Won’t Steal To Please You – Niger State House Of Reps Member Tells Constituents
Government
0 shares9 views

I Won’t Steal To Please You – Niger State House Of Reps Member Tells Constituents

gisthub - Apr 02, 2025

He emphasized that while he is committed to serving his constituents, he will not engage in corrupt practices to fund projects. Speaking to…

Bob Lee’s Family Sues His Killer And Relatives For Conspiracy, Evidence Tampering
General
0 shares9 views

Bob Lee’s Family Sues His Killer And Relatives For Conspiracy, Evidence Tampering

gisthub - Apr 02, 2025

The family of slain Cash App founder Bob Lee has filed a lawsuit against his killer, Nima Momeni, and Momeni’s relatives, accusing them…

NNPCL Welcomes Ojulari, Says Farewell To Kyari
General
0 shares9 views

NNPCL Welcomes Ojulari, Says Farewell To Kyari

gisthub - Apr 02, 2025

The management and staff of NNPC Limited have extended a warm welcome to the newly appointed Group Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Bayo Ojulari,…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Most from this category