0 Shares 98 Views

NYSC Bars Polytechnic Graduates Without Proof of 1-Year Mandatory IT Experience from Entering Camp

gisthub Aug 30, 2024
0 99

The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) has started implementing the directive issued earlier that it will no longer accept graduates of polytechnics and monotechnics who cannot provide evidence of completing the mandatory one-year Industrial Training (IT) program.

 

In July 2024, a circular signed by the Director, Corps Mob, Isah Walida Siddique, on behalf of the NYSC Director General, warned that prospective corps members will have to show proof that they partook in the 1-year mandatory IT to commence NYSC.

NYSC Bars Polytechnic Graduates Without Proof of 1-Year Mandatory IT Experience from Entering Camp

Later, in an interview in August, NYSC Coordinator in Lagos State, Mrs. Yetunde Baderinwa, stated the decision is aimed at promoting the sanctity of Nigeria’s education system. Baderinwa revealed that a circular has been issued to this effect, and the new directive will take effect from the next orientation camp.

 

Now, as a new batch of prospective corps members head to camp, HND holders without IT certificates are being turned back from NYSC orientation camps across the country.

The acting Director of Press and Public Relations, NYSC, Mrs Caroline Lembu, who spoke to Punch on Thursday, August 29, explained that a certificate of industrial training is one of the requirements for polytechnic graduates to participate in the one-year national youth service.

 

Lembu said: “That is part of the requirement for obtaining an HND Certificate, isn’t it? So, it’s just that certificate. That is one of the documents they are required to present at the camp. They would get admission into the camp, but whether they would be registered or not is the issue. You know, everyone is admitted to the camp, and your documents are scrutinised. But what happens is that that is the requirement.”

Lembu added: “It is a prerequisite for getting the HND certificate. That is just the certificate they are asking for. They are not being rejected, they are just supposed to present it.”

 

In Osun State, the NYSC Public Relations Officer in the state, Funmi Okundaye, said the policy was being implemented.

 

“They were not evicted from camp. It is not an issue in the Osun camp alone. It is a national policy to sanitise the education sector. We sent those who don’t have IT letters back home to bring it. It is part of the registration materials they must bring to camp,” Okundaye said.

“Once they bring their IT letters from where they observed it, they will be allowed to return to the camp.”

 

In Niger State, the NYSC spokesman in the state, Sam Oga, confirmed that polytechnic graduates without IT certificates were not being registered.

 

“Yes, we are implementing it. The NYSC HND candidates are not allowed into the camp without proof of IT. Until we get a counter directive they will not be allowed into the the camp,” Oga said.

 

The policy was also implemented in Kano State, where an NYSC official, who spoke to Punch on condition of anonymity, said, “This is a directive from the NYSC headquarters in Abuja. So, we are just complying with the order.”

 

You may be interested

Olmo And Victor Given Green Light To Finish Season With Barcelona
Sport
0 shares9 views

Olmo And Victor Given Green Light To Finish Season With Barcelona

gisthub - Apr 03, 2025

Spain’s sports council announced on Thursday that Dani Olmo and Pau Victor will be allowed to play for Barcelona until the end of…

EPL: Arsenal’s Gabriel’s Season Ended Due To Hamstring Injury
Sport
0 shares9 views

EPL: Arsenal’s Gabriel’s Season Ended Due To Hamstring Injury

gisthub - Apr 03, 2025

Arsenal have been dealt a significant blow ahead of their Champions League clash against Real Madrid, with Gabriel ruled out for the rest…

UEFA President Criticizes FIFA’s 64-Team World Cup As ‘Bad Idea
Sport
0 shares11 views

UEFA President Criticizes FIFA’s 64-Team World Cup As ‘Bad Idea

gisthub - Apr 03, 2025

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin stated on Thursday that expanding the World Cup to 64 teams for the 2030 tournament would be “a bad…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Most from this category