Ibrahim Babangida Rejects Post Approving Military Rule, Says Democracy Has Come To Stay
Former Military President, General Ibrahim Babangida has dissociated himself from a post claiming he endorsed military rule over democratic governance.
In a statement from his media office signed by Mahmud Abdullahi in Minna, General Babangida said the account on X that shared the post is a parody account, not his official account.
Babangida then reiterated his commitment to democratic rule rather than military rule.
The statement reads partly: “This dubious account carries our principal’s picture and name and the coat of arms of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for added effect but it does not belong to him nor does the former President sanction any post appearing there.”
It added: “For the avoidance of doubt, General Babangida (rtd) believes that Nigeria’s democracy is resilient and has come to stay and that we must do everything we can to safeguard the process.
“As a nation, we are currently facing a number of challenges but the former president has always expressed the view that we will eventually overcome these challenges and come out a stronger, more progressive nation. The solution to our problems as he had said previously, is ‘more’ democracy, not less.
“General Babangida truly believes that the era of military intervention in Nigeria’s politics is long gone and he has said how proud he is that the Nigerian military has stood firmly behind multiple democratic governments in this country since 1999, thus giving us the longest run of civilian administration since independence.”
You may be interested

Olmo And Victor Given Green Light To Finish Season With Barcelona
gisthub - Apr 03, 2025Spain’s sports council announced on Thursday that Dani Olmo and Pau Victor will be allowed to play for Barcelona until the end of…

EPL: Arsenal’s Gabriel’s Season Ended Due To Hamstring Injury
gisthub - Apr 03, 2025Arsenal have been dealt a significant blow ahead of their Champions League clash against Real Madrid, with Gabriel ruled out for the rest…

UEFA President Criticizes FIFA’s 64-Team World Cup As ‘Bad Idea
gisthub - Apr 03, 2025UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin stated on Thursday that expanding the World Cup to 64 teams for the 2030 tournament would be “a bad…
Most from this category

Leave a Comment