Bandits Reject N3M Ransom for Release of 26 Abducted Zamfara Villagers
Bandits have refused a ransom of ₦3 million for the release of 26 abducted individuals from Kakidawa ward in the Gidan-Goga district of Maradun Local Government Area, Zamfara State.
The kidnapping occurred in the early hours of Sunday, December 8, 2024. Abubakar Shehu, a local resident whose three daughters are among the captives, confirmed the incident during an interview on Monday, December 9.
Shehu clarified that 26 people were taken during the attack, countering earlier reports that claimed the number was 50.
According to Abubakar Shehu, the abductees include 19 females and six males. Among them is one of his daughters, who was preparing for her marriage before being abducted.
“We raised N3m to offer to the bandits, but they rejected it,” Shehu lamented.
“When we informed their leader about the amount, he dismissed us, saying we were not serious, and then switched off his phone. Since then, we have been unable to reach him.”
Recounting the incident, Shehu said, “The bandits attacked our community on Sunday and took away 26 people, all of whom are my neighbours. They contacted us to demand payment for their release but did not specify the amount they wanted.”
The community, which has endured repeated attacks from bandits, remains tense and fearful.
Abubakar Shehu noted that the bandits operate from a camp near the village, posing a persistent threat to residents. He expressed frustration, adding that despite reporting the incident to local security agencies, no action has been taken to address the situation.
“We have informed the security personnel in the local government, but nothing has been done to address the situation. This is not the first time our village has been attacked,” he said.
Many residents of Gidan-Goga have fled the area due to the relentless bandit attacks, seeking safety elsewhere. However, some, like Abubakar Shehu, remain in the village, compelled by limited alternatives and a lack of resources to relocate.
You may be interested

Olmo And Victor Given Green Light To Finish Season With Barcelona
gisthub - Apr 03, 2025Spain’s sports council announced on Thursday that Dani Olmo and Pau Victor will be allowed to play for Barcelona until the end of…

EPL: Arsenal’s Gabriel’s Season Ended Due To Hamstring Injury
gisthub - Apr 03, 2025Arsenal have been dealt a significant blow ahead of their Champions League clash against Real Madrid, with Gabriel ruled out for the rest…

UEFA President Criticizes FIFA’s 64-Team World Cup As ‘Bad Idea
gisthub - Apr 03, 2025UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin stated on Thursday that expanding the World Cup to 64 teams for the 2030 tournament would be “a bad…
Most from this category

Leave a Comment