0 Shares 108 Views

Zambian Footballer Barbra Banda, Banned from Tournament Over ‘High Testosterone,’ Wins BBC Women’s Footballer of the Year

gisthub Nov 26, 2024
0 109

Zambian footballer Barbra Banda, who missed a major tournament due to a gender eligibility dispute over high testosterone levels, has been named BBC Women’s Footballer of the Year.

The striker for Zambia and Orlando Pride received the most votes from BBC Sport website readers after being included in a five-player shortlist.

Banda’s victory was announced in a BBC Sport report today.

Second place went to Spain and Barcelona midfielder Aitana Bonmati, while third place was awarded to USA and Portland Thorns forward Sophia Smith.

Zambian Footballer Barbra Banda, Banned from Tournament Over 'High Testosterone,' Wins BBC Women's Footballer of the Year

Banda’s inclusion in the running for the BBC Women’s Footballer of the Year was met with criticism from women’s rights groups, as she had been ruled out of the 2022 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations due to high testosterone levels.

Banda, 24, said: ‘I am shocked and surprised to have this award right by my side.

‘I would like to thank the people who voted and everyone who has played a part in my life and my career – my family, my national team in Zambia and especially the Pride team. It is for everyone.’

The Women’s Rights Network accused the broadcaster of tarnishing the reputation of women’s sports by including Banda on the shortlist.

The five nominees were selected by a panel of global football experts, including coaches, players, administrators, and non-BBC journalists.

The corporation’s coverage today said: ‘This panel did not include any BBC personnel, and the winner was voted for by the public.’

Banda was excluded from Zambia’s squad for the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations two years ago, with reports suggesting she had failed a gender test.

However, it was later revealed that she was not tested by tournament organizers but was omitted preemptively when officials learned that her testosterone levels exceeded the limits set by the Confederation of African Football.

The former professional boxer, who was registered female at birth, reportedly refused to take suppressants to lower her testosterone levels due to concerns about potential side effects, according to the Associated Press.

A 2023 investigation stated there was no evidence to suggest that Banda’s testosterone levels were anything but naturally occurring.

Her agent, Anton Maksimov, also clarified that Banda did not fail a gender test, but was removed based on an “evaluation of her physical conditions.”

He said in a statement at the time of the 2022 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations: ‘As her official representative, I can state that Barbra has not been banned or suspended from participating in the current WAFCON by CAF, FAZ, FIFA, or any other governing body.

‘She has not undergone and consequently has not failed any “gender verification” or “gender eligibility tests” administered prior to the tournament. Barbra is also perfectly healthy and fit.

‘The decision not to currently feature Barbra at the tournament is FAZ’s internal decision based on their own evaluation of her physical conditions before coming to Morocco.

‘I reiterate that nothing, no existing regulations that we are aware of, prevents Barbra’s participation in the WAFCON 2022. Barbra has not failed any medical tests in this regard either.’

You may be interested

Olmo And Victor Given Green Light To Finish Season With Barcelona
Sport
0 shares9 views

Olmo And Victor Given Green Light To Finish Season With Barcelona

gisthub - Apr 03, 2025

Spain’s sports council announced on Thursday that Dani Olmo and Pau Victor will be allowed to play for Barcelona until the end of…

EPL: Arsenal’s Gabriel’s Season Ended Due To Hamstring Injury
Sport
0 shares9 views

EPL: Arsenal’s Gabriel’s Season Ended Due To Hamstring Injury

gisthub - Apr 03, 2025

Arsenal have been dealt a significant blow ahead of their Champions League clash against Real Madrid, with Gabriel ruled out for the rest…

UEFA President Criticizes FIFA’s 64-Team World Cup As ‘Bad Idea
Sport
0 shares11 views

UEFA President Criticizes FIFA’s 64-Team World Cup As ‘Bad Idea

gisthub - Apr 03, 2025

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin stated on Thursday that expanding the World Cup to 64 teams for the 2030 tournament would be “a bad…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Most from this category